Followers

Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Front Porch Part III

I know you have been wondering what happened to The Front Porch III. I was trying to hold off until I could get back to Greenville and get a picture of the creator of those wonderful dollhouses and roomboxes.
Well, between my schedule and his we just could not get it together.

So, I am going to tell you a little about the man behind the dream dollhouses and roomboxes. The Front Porch has been in operation for over fifty years. At one time, the owner, Tom Henry had the largest dollhouse business in the South East United States. His work has included miniature duplicates of local mansions. Many years ago, before many of us were even involved with miniatures, Tom was in his local newspaper for his lovely houses.  The "well to do" sought him to make duplicates of their own  homes, orginal dollhouses and supplies or to have their dollhouses repaired. Here are some of his other works of art:

Thank you so much Tom and Karen for indulging me and allowing me to get these great photos.




One of the many houses in Tom's photo album

The Front Porch "a step back in time"

Tom makes the news. Click to see the date in 1977




Click on picture for a larger view

8 comments :

  1. Hello Grandmommy,
    I am so enjoying all the great thigns I get to see and learn on your blog. Great post. those houses of tom's are just spectacular.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giac,
      I am glad you enjoy my blog. Tom is a real treasure when it comes to dollhouses.
      Major hugs!
      Grandmommy

      Delete
  2. These homes are so realistic! Thanks for sharing this amazing story with us! Have a very fall weekend!
    {{{Big Hugs}}},
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, They are amazing. It was a real treat to be able to see them up close. You are very welcome and I hope to come up with other great stories.
      Hoping your weekend has all the beautiful colors of fall. :-)
      Major huggies!
      Grandmommy

      Delete
  3. Hi Grandmommy,wow these houses are awesome !!!
    Tom Henry is a real artist :)

    Hugs Mieke xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Mieke,
      I agree! I really enjoyed seeing them upclose and hearing his story.

      Delete
  4. WOW!!! Those are spectacular....I enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Lady Jane!

    I am so glad you did! I wish he still made them. Yet, what a collection!

    ReplyDelete

It is fun hearing from all of you!